Introduction: Borneo Journal of Resource Science and Technology (BJRST) is a peer-reviewed journal, which publishes scientific articles in all fields of resource sciences including land and forest resources, aquatic science, biodiversity and ecology, biotechnology and molecular biology, chemistry, microbiology, bioinformatics, plant science and zoology. This broad spectrum journal welcomes the submission of manuscripts that meet the general criteria of significance and scientific excellence especially from this region but not limited to, this region.
Acceptance for publication is based on contributions to scientific knowledge, original data, ideas or interpretations and on their conciseness, scientific accuracy and clarity, as judged by two referees appointed by the Editorial Board. The Journal also publishes occasional review papers by invitation.
Type of papers: Original research paper or Full Paper, Short Communication or Research Note and Review Paper.
Frequency of publication: One volume, two issues per year.
Manuscripts received by the editors will be peer-reviewed in double-blinded review manner by selected reviewers.
The manuscripts that are submitted by the author(s) for publication in BJRST imply declaration that they are original, unpublished, and is not considered for publication elsewhere.
Please submit your manuscripts to http://publisher.unimas.my/ojs/index.php/BJRST
Authors need to register with journal via OJS (the link above) prior to submitting or, if already registered, can simply login.
Please write your enquiries to:
The Chief Editor
Borneo Journal of Resource Science and Technology,
Faculty of Resource Science and Technology,
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak,
94300 Kota Samarahan,
Tel: 6082 583129/3136
Fax: 6082 583160
The authors are solely responsible for the contents and the opinion expressed in the articles that are published in BJRST. In addition, it is the responsibility of the authors to check for grammatical errors and authenticity of the paper before sending the manuscript for “consideration by the Editorial Board”. Plagiarism-checker technology (e.g. Turnitin, Plagiarism Checker etc.) can be used to help detect plagiarism before sending your paper for publication. The Editorial Board, staff members and the publisher of BJRST shall not, in any way, be involved in any dispute involving the articles.
Plagiarism/Fraud/ Research Misconduct
Copy, steal, or manipulate intellectual properties of another person is an act of plagiarism. Fabrication and falsification are considered fraud or research misconduct. It is incumbent on all authors to refrain from acts of fabrication, falsification and plagiarism associated with the submitted manuscript. BJRST journal will perform plagrarism evaluation using Turnitin for all submitted manuscripts. Any plagiarism, fraud or research misconduct will result in revocation of the submitted or published manuscript. Investigation into any plagiarism, fraud or research misconduct is under the purview of UNIMAS Publisher. Members of BJRST editorial board are committed to assist and facilitate in such investigations.
Copyright Transfer Statement:
The author(s) is (are) solely responsible in ensuring that his or her submitted work does not infringe any existing copyright. Permission to produce or adapt copyrighted material must be obtained and provided prior to submitting the manuscript for evaluation. Upon acceptance of a manuscript for BJRST publication, each author is requested to transfer copyright by signing the Copyright Transfer Statement. Completed document should be submitted to the Chief Editor.
(i) General formatting
- Font size: 12 pts
- Font type: Time New Roman
- Continuous Line Numbered page
- Double spacing
- Table(s) should be provided at the end of the manuscript
- Figure(s) should be provided as a separate document
- Other supporting materials (e.g. large tables, extended methodologies, etc.) should be provided as supplementary data
(ii) Title Page Content
- A separate Title Page, which comprises the manuscript title (in the sentence case) followed by the authors’ names, affiliations with mailing address, email of corresponding author(s) and running title. Running title is in sentence case, maximum of 7 words and without period.
- Multiple authors with different affiliations and mailing addresses must be indicated clearly and separately by superscript numbers.
Empty Fruit Bunches Compost and Germination of Raphanus Sativs L.
PO-TEEN LIM*1,2, CHUI-PIN LEAW1 & TAKEHIKO OGATA*1
1School of Fisheries Science, Kitasato University, Sanriku, Ofunato, Iwate, 22-0101 Japan; 2Faculty of Resource Science and Technology, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, 94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia
Running Title: Compost and germination of Raphanus sativs
- 350 words maximum
Example:Overabundance of empty fruit bunches (EFB) from palm oil industries has opened opportunity for its exploitation for agricultural use as compost. In this study, palm oil EFB compost was prepared by the addition of wood chips as a bulking agent and chicken manure to enhance the composting rate.
- Not more than six words and arranged in alphabetical order
(v-a) Main Text (Full paper)
Example of subheading:
MATERIALS & METHODS
or RESULTS & DISCUSSION
Full paper may include Sub-Subheading. Examples of Sub-subheading under MATERIALS & METHODS:
Genetic and Morphological Analysis
(v-b) Main Text (Short Communication & Research Note)
Short Communication and Research Note paper must ONLY include these Subheading:
(v-c) Main Text (Review paper) Review paper may include Subheading or any Sub-Subheading (if suitable):
(vi) In-text citations
Citation of references in the text should contain name(s) of author(s) and year of publication, follow year for example:
· One author: Mohd-Azlan (2003) or (Mohd-Azlan, 2003)
· Two authors: Ahmad and Marini (2001) or (Ahmad & Marini, 2001)
· Three or more authors: Sazali et al. (2008) or (Sazali et al., 2008)
· Multiple references within same parentheses follow year first then alphabetical order for same year (Abdullah, 1998; Abang & Das, 2006; Mohamad et al., 2006)
(vii) Tables and Figures
· Graphs, charts, diagrams and photographs are referred to as figures and labeled as Figure 1, Figure 2, etc. consecutively. Each figure should be submitted on a separate page. In text the word figure is not bold (11 pts), but in caption is bold with period (10 pts, bold; Figure 1.).Caption follows after one line spacing 6 pts.
· Tables are to be labeled as Table 1, Table 2, consecutively. In text the word figure is not bold (11 pts), but in caption is bold with period (10 pts, bold; Table 1.)Table follows after one line spacing 6 pts.
· All tables and figures must have captions that are self-explanatory and typed in Sentence-case letter.
· The tables and figures must be mentioned in the text. Likewise, all references listed must be cited in the text.
· Line drawings and letterings should be large enough to allow a reduction up to 50% of the original size.
· The authors must provide high resolution versions of the figures or photographs (300 dpi or higher) in TIF, JPG or EPS formats.
· Photo credits must be mentioned in the figure caption.
· Font size within table 8-11 pts
· Figure labeling (use alphabetical order, small case: (a), (b), (c), (d),…. (g)
Arrange referred articles in alphabetical and year of publication in ascending order and conform to the following format (justify)
· Example for books (Can use page number or without)
Voyles, B.A. (2002). The biology of viruses. Second Edition. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
Abang, F. & Das, I. (Eds). (2006). The biodiversity of a peat swamp forest in Sarawak. Kota Samarahan: Universiti Malaysia Sarawak Publication. Pp 21-33.
· Example for chapters in a book
Ipor, I.B., Tawan, C.S., Ismail, J. & Bojo, D. (1998). Floristic compositions and structures of forest at Bario Highlands, Sarawak. In Ismail, G. & Din, L. (Eds.), A scientific journey through Borneo: Bario, the Kelabit Highland of Sarawak. Kuching, Malaysia: Pelanduk Publication. Pp 113-132.
· Example for paper in journals
Mohamad, S., Yamaguchi, Y., Sagara, T., Takatani, T., Arakawa, O. & Noguchi, T. (2006).Accumulation and depuration profiles of PSP toxins in the short-necked clam Tapes japonica fed with the toxic dinoflagellate Alexandrium catenella. Toxicon, 48: 323-330.
Narayanan, K., Sim, E.U.H., Ravin, N.V. & Lee, C.W. (2009). Recombination between linear double stranded DNA substrates in vivo. Analytical Biochemistry, 387(1): 139-141.
· Example for paper in proceedings
Nyanti, L., Ismail, N. & Lo, M.L.K.F. (2005). Fish, crustacean and cephalopod fauna and their fisheries of the Paloh mangrove, Rajang Estuary, Sarawak. In Tuen, A.A. & Das, I. (Eds.), Wallace in Sarawak –150 years later. Proceedings of an International Conference on Biogeography and Biodiversity, July 13-15 Kota Samarahan, Malaysia: Institute of Biodiversity and Environmental Conservation, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak. Pp. 162-177.
· Example for on-line citation (only published material)
Kock, D., Amr, Z., Mickleburgh, S., Hutson, A.M., Bergmans, W. & Aulagnier, S. (2008). Hipposideros caffer. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2008.RLTS.T10115A3166805 .en. Downloaded on 10 June 2016.
· Thesis citation (Not accepted)
(ix) Scientific names
For each organism, the full Latin name (genus, species and authority) must be supplied when first mentioned in the text.
· Italicise Latin names of genera and species.
· The application of binomial nomenclature should follow the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) for fauna and the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (ICN) for flora.
Units, symbols and abbreviations
· Only SI units should be used, e.g. g (gram), μl (microliter), ml (milliliter), kg (kilogram), cm (centimeter), ha (hectare), g (gravity), hr (hour), min (minute), sec (second), °C (degree centigrade). The number and the unit of measurement are spaced (e.g. 5 g; 2 cm)
· With abbreviations, no dot or full stop should be used in between the letters. Write LSD, SE, IAA, EDTA instead of L.S.D, S.E., I.A.A., E.D.T.A.
· Isotopes should be indicated: 14C, 32P and not C14 or P32.